meniere

Author Topic: DVLA and driving  (Read 2166 times)

Offline Alec

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
DVLA and driving
« on: Sep 17 2006, 12:43 PM »
Here is a note from Jackie regarding how the DVLA views MD and what you can expect from them.

Well, as promised I did ring the DVLA to find out what the regulations are - they have recently been updated and the person I spoke to looked them up for me.  The telephone no is 0870 600 0301 if anyone is interested.

First of all MD is on the list of things for which a driver is legally required to notify the DVLA.  There is a form D100 available from Post Offices that lists all notifiable conditions.  It also includes any other condition in which there is dizziness such as labyrinthitis.

After that there are stages of procedure that a driver goes through.  Once notified, the DVLA makes a note of the condition on the driver's licence, but that doesn't mean the licence is taken away.  The driver is sent a form that asks questions about the nature of dizziness and attacks.  The questions are (not exact wording here)

1)  In the last three months have you had any dizziness attacks without warning?
2)  Is your dizziness disabling?
3)  Are you receiving treatment for this condition?
4)  Do you have any sudden episodes of loss of consciousness?

Retaining the licence depends completely on the part which relates to *with* or *without* warning.  I was told that if yes is the answer to the first two questions then the person should not be driving.  If the driver answers no to the question 1 about warning - in other words they have warning about an impending attack and can get off the road safely - then it is not a problem.

If the driver can assure the DVLA that a) the condtion is well-controlled , b) they are receiving treatment for it, c) they have not had any sudden disabling attacks of vertigo or dizziness for the past three months, then the DVLA usually takes the matter no further and the replies that the person sends in are sufficient for the driver to retain the licence without further investigation.  At this stage each case is dealt with on an individual basis and the well-controlled factor is the most important to the DVLA.  The GP is not necessarily required to be involved at this stage.

According to what the driver replies the next stage, if there is any uncertainty about being well-controlled,  is to write to the GP for more information .  The licence is still not taken away if the condition is said by the GP to be under control.

An uncontrolled condition is different, and according to how the driver answers the questions about warning then it affects the licence.  If it is decided to take the licence away (because the attacks are not controlled and there is no warning of an impending attack), there is no set time limit for how long a driver will be without the licence, but three months is usually the minimum.  The licence is retained by the DVLA until the condition is stabilised, whether this takes three months or longer.  The driver has to re-apply for the licence to be returned once the condition is stabilised.

I hope this answers some questions about driving and MD. 

Best wishes
Jackie
Alec (forum Moderator)

Whenever I hear the term, 'let's go for a spin', it makes me cringe.