meniere

Author Topic: Arlevert  (Read 6511 times)

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Arlevert
« on: Apr 30 2007, 04:42 PM »
I've just been reading on the wonderful internet about a relatively new drug called Arlevert, which is a combination of cinnarizine and dimenhydrinate, used to treat vertigo in MD.  There's not a great deal of info on it as yet but just wondered if anyone else has heard of it.  May be worth a try for some?

Chris
not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ...

barbara

Re: Arlevert
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30 2007, 06:35 PM »
Hi Chris,
Sally on the Yahoo group has just been prescribed this. Seems to be similar to Anitvert that they use in the USA. It will be interesting to see how she goes on this.
Barbara

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 30 2007, 07:22 PM »
Hi Barbara

That's interesting - sounds like it's already starting to be prescribed here then.

Chris

Offline mrlexy

• View Profile
    • My website- has menieres pages
« Reply #3 on: Jun 10 2007, 12:51 PM »
Hi everyone,

i was researching this recently for my menieres website www.menieres-disease.co.uk

Forgive me if you already knew this from net but if not.....

Arlevert was only introduced in the Uk in January of this year by Ashbourne Pharmaceuticals, (taken over by Sinclair Pharma plc last year) and the drug itself is combination of cinnarizine (we is already widely used here aka Sturgeron) and 40mg Dimenhydrinate an antihistamine ( maybe better known as Dramamine) - both these drugs have different ways of combating or helping vertigo /sickness hence the combination of the two being successful but i'm not sure exactly how (stuff about calcium receptors and this and that that gets lost on me!)

so hopefully it will be widely available as I did read that advance purchases of the drug in the UK were very high so maybe our docs are wanting to prescibe this and have heard good things!

Cheers
alex

Offline Lizzie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 10 2007, 03:24 PM »
Hi Alex

I wasn't aware of your website until seeing the link in your last post.

It's really informative.

Liz

ManiloonySally

« Reply #5 on: Jun 13 2007, 11:37 AM »
Hi There

Yes Barbara is right,i took it for a month to see if it helped.  I am afraid for me it did nothing to stop my spins or help my balance  :(  But i was a zombie on it,i was so doped up i could barely walk round the house,it was even hard to get my words out!!  I did think that part would wear off,it did a little but i wouldnt go on it again. 

Dont get me wrong i am not saying it wouldnt work or help others.. but it really didnt help me at all,just heavily sedated me!

Sally

Offline jan

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 13 2007, 12:53 PM »
hi,is the arlevert instead of the serc,or as well as?
                       jan
keep smiling!!

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 13 2007, 01:36 PM »
Hi Jan

I think you can take arlevert as well as Serc.

Chris

ManiloonySally

« Reply #8 on: Jun 15 2007, 08:31 PM »
Having re-read my reply... i thought i should say...  if you get offered this drug,then do try it, just because it didnt help me doesnt mean it wouldnt be wonderful for someone else, i made my last post seem a bit negative,but that was only because i found the tablet difficult to tolerate and it didnt help at all with the balance or spins,but i would be interested to hear if anyone takes it and finds it really helps.

Sally

Offline Elaine

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 18 2007, 05:48 PM »
Have reached desperation levels now so rang my GP and asked if I can try it .Having spent every car journey feeling really sick and the noise in my son's schoo nearly set me off this afternoon I decided enough was enough .If that fails I'm for the chop  :'(
Wish me luck everyone ,
Elaine xx

Offline jan

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 19 2007, 05:00 AM »
hi elaine,good luck!i hope it works for you.i actually spoke to my gp about it last week too,am waiting for a new appt with consultant to discuss it.please let us know how you get on with it.
hope you start feeling better soon.
     jan

keep smiling!!

Offline Elaine

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 19 2007, 09:09 AM »
Thanks Jan .I hope he'll have done the prescription today so fingers crossed .My head is slightly clearer today - kicking off in bed this morning seems to have cleared it a bit but for how long is another matter .Just got that bouncy vision a bit today  ::)
Hope you get on ok at your consultants .
Elaine xx

ManiloonySally

« Reply #12 on: Jun 19 2007, 11:15 AM »
Hi Elaine

Good luck with it,i really hope it works for you  :)  Sorry i didnt reply sooner,but my daughter was in a bad car accident last night,so my stress levels have shot up even more!!!!

Please let me know what you think of the Arlevert,i havent spoken with anyone else who has tried it... fingers crossed for you.

Sally x

Offline Elaine

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 19 2007, 12:40 PM »
Oh Sally ! How awful for you all .Is she hurt ? I've always found I'm ok while stressed but start off once I relax .
Will let you know how I get on ,
Elaine xx

ManiloonySally

« Reply #14 on: Jun 19 2007, 12:47 PM »
Hi Elaine

Yes i get that too... in a couple of days i will drop i expect,i am so tired!! Not looking forward to Saturday either!!

She has a nasty black eye,whiplash and severe bruising to her hand arm and leg,she smashed into a tree,if you had seen the car,you would wonder she ever got out alive  :'(  Just thankful she is still alive!!

Do please let me know how you go with the arlevert.. i really hope it works for you.

Sally x

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 19 2007, 01:05 PM »
Hi Sally

Was sorry to read of your daughter's accident.  Very glad it wasn't any worse, though I'm sure she's in quite a lot of pain and shock.  The stress won't be doing you any good either.  Thank goodness she's relatively Ok.

Take care
Chris

Offline jan

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 19 2007, 04:16 PM »
hi  sally,i am so sorry to hear about your daughters accident.wishing her a speedy recovery.i hope you manage to stay spin  and dizzy free.
        take care                jan
keep smiling!!

Offline Marymac

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 19 2007, 04:43 PM »
Hi Sally,

I know we've only just met but best wishes to you and your daughter.

Look after yourself.

Mary
We Totter On!

ManiloonySally

« Reply #18 on: Jun 19 2007, 07:35 PM »
Thank you all for your kind messages.  She is very bruised and still in shock,but she is one very lucky girl,and i would rather have her than the car,so although it was awful for her,things could have been so much worse.

I really appreciate it ...thank you.

Sally