meniere

Author Topic: Salt stuff  (Read 14944 times)

Offline Dizzykitty

• View Profile
Salt stuff
« on: May 03 2007, 04:24 PM »
Does anyone have any great recipes or sources of low sodium foods?

My husband found me these meals from tesco's that are completely fresh and contain a max of 0.4g sodium per packet. They are called Naturally good food. They only last a couple of days because they are fresh. A couple are a bit bland but then bland is what its like now!
Useful for me because the kids and hubbie just cant seem to get their heads around eating beans so I dont have to cook something separate for myself.

I do struggle to find any foods though that are low sodium. It took me two months to find a thickener so I could have gravy again! Does anybody have any good suggestions on where they get their low stuff from?

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Re: Salt stuff
« Reply #1 on: May 03 2007, 05:04 PM »
Firstly, do you find that salt affects your vertigo because if it doesn't make much difference to you, then don't bother with the low salt stuff. I don't find dietary stuff makes much difference to me but everyone is different and some people are v. sensitive to salt and caffeine. 

Chris
not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ...

Offline Dizzykitty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03 2007, 05:17 PM »
I dont really know yet to be honest.
I had about a month of being off the salt, on all the tablets and off everything else you arent meant to have and was quite well at the end of it
Then I went abroad and found it too difficult to do it so didnt bother (didnt take the tablets either though). Two weeks later and I am off again.
For the time being I dont want to take the risk, I will stay off it if it means I can have some of my life back.

From what I have read it seems to help about half of those people out there so I thought there might be some good tips to share

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03 2007, 05:34 PM »
Hi

I'm sure others will be able to offer some helpful tips on dieting.  It is hard to know what really makes the difference - vertigo waxes and wanes anyway.  You will probably find you cope Ok at home when you're having a quiet time, not doing much and then when you try to do something outside or go back to work, wham! back come the attacks.  Stress really is a trigger and it's hard to avoid - just be aware - try to keep it at bay and try not to get overtired.

Chris

Offline Dizzykitty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03 2007, 05:47 PM »
Glad I am not the only one! am so envious of those people who know what their triggers are! though I am 80% sure that red wine is one of mine but there is just that 20% chance.....that I am hanging onto
Cheese, chocolate, caffeine, bread, sausages, crisps, give it all up?  alright alright - just leave the wine bottle...

Offline latou

• View Profile
    • Latou's Place
« Reply #5 on: May 04 2007, 10:07 AM »
Hi DizzyKitty

I know that salt sets me off after just a few hours so that is the one thing I am very careful of.      Have you found Lo-Salt yet?   You can get it in supermarkets and I can tolerate that as long as I am careful.  It's potassium based as opposed to sodium.  The rest of the family won't be able to tell the difference and it might be OK for you, too.

I have been told no caffeine at all because I've had drop attacks, but I refuse to live a life with no coffee and no chocolate in it.  If I know I'm not going out then I allow myself a cup of really good coffee to get my heart started and have my favourite chocolate (the darker the better) in moderation.  If I know I'm going out, then I don't.

Red wine I can tolerate up to two glasses a day.  In fact I usually only have 1 and that's never during the day, only in the  evening.

Life has to be worth living buddy.
Linda

www.latou.co.uk

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04 2007, 10:19 AM »
Alcohol is a definite trigger for me so I have to keep to half a glass of wine on high days and holidays.

Chris

Offline jan

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14 2007, 09:11 AM »
hi,have you tried using a steamer for your vegetables,you dont use any salt and they taste great,.i find that i cook a lot of  food from fresh as a lot of processed foods are too high in salt for me.i find that a "george grilling machine"is excellent.very quick to do steak,pork chops etc .

when your abroad you need to check the sodium levels on the bottled water,they vary enormously!!!
          jan
keep smiling!!

Offline Dizzykitty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14 2007, 10:30 AM »
Hi Jan - I havent cooked with salt in vegetables for at least 10 years - not good for the kids I decided and they have never known any different.
I dont really eat the processed food anymore for the obvious reasons but those dinners from tesco are a very good quick alternative when I just cant be bothered!

I make my own bread, without the salt and just put honey and oats in it which gives it flavour, though the kids usually eat it all before I get the chance! The rest of the time its veggies and nuts etc.
I have found a no salt thickener - I love me gravy! but I do miss the sausages and things like that. My next trick is to either find a butcher that makes sausages without salt (you never know!) or try and make some kind of alternative myself!
My 10 year old son has decided he wants to be a chef so I am gonna set him up in the kitchen with new recipes to try. maybe he could be famous in the low salt cooking world (and keep me in the style I know I should be living)
In fact, maybe thats a gap in the market I should be exploiting...

Offline jan

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14 2007, 11:02 AM »
hi,i still eat sausages occasionally.,i occasionally eat burgers,but i alsoi make  my own burgers with minced beef,or pork,scrummy.i  eat cheese,but buy a strong one,so i use less in cooking.i cook a lot of chicken.i also cook joints to use for sandwiches.buy tuna in spring water.i  use bisto granules ,but make it with more water and only have a few spoonfuls. well done for making your own bread,i use bought.although i have got a bread maker :-[
       i use sainsburys reduced sugar and salt baked beans,
           jan
keep smiling!!

Offline jan

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15 2007, 09:29 AM »
hi again,tescos do organic pork sausages that are 0.4%.
                  havent tried them yet,but they look nice!
          jan
keep smiling!!

Offline Dizzykitty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15 2007, 02:32 PM »
I didnt know that! I will have to look out for them. When the limit is 1500-2000mg it still doesnt leave alot though.
I definately suffer with the extra salt - completely went off the plan yesterday and am suffering for it today.

You should try the homemade bread though. Two slices of shopbought is nearly my whole daily allowance - though i suppose it does depend if you are affected by the salt as Christina said earlier. But its far nicer anyway, and you can make some really great flavours. It just doesnt last as long, though its not around long enough in our house for us to notice
I miss the cheese too - I could eat it all the time.

Anyone know of any low salt cheeses?

Offline Extremist

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16 2007, 06:29 PM »
Your homemade bread sounds very nice  :)

Offline puggster

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 13 2009, 07:18 PM »
hey guys

i dunno if this might help as less salt in my diet dosent make any diference to me
but i got this after being recomended it by the docs as my blood pressure is up and down like a yoyo

its calles LOSALT. its like 65% less sodium than average salt :o and tastes practicaly the same too  ???

i use just a tad in my cooking with no adverse effects on my symptoms so i thought ill mention it for those who cant live without salt  :D  ;)

here is the website for it http://www.losalt.com/

i hope it helps in some small way

thanks 
puggster

btw ther retail it in most good shops / super markets

Offline MargaretRose

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15 2009, 05:47 PM »
Dizzy Kitty,  it would be great to try one of your bread recipes. I havent
been very lucky with the ones I've tried in the past.  Once  the dough rose so high in the breadmaker the lid had to stay up !   My husband sadly passed away a few weeks ago so I would only need to make a
small loaf for myself.

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15 2009, 08:54 PM »
Very sorry indeed for your loss Margaret Rose.  Please keep in touch with us all.

Kind regards
Chris x

Offline tracey d

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 16 2009, 08:21 AM »
hi, i would really like to try this no salt diet properly, but could do with some tips please.
i did try it a month or two ago for a week and felt great but not sure if it was the diet or my demons had just given me a break for a while.
i came off it as i went to a party, had a bit too much to drink and came home and had a kebab!!!!(it was all over after that!! :-[
what i would like to know is what really not to eat as i really cut everything out. i lived on porridge fruit, tinned tomatoes,pasta and chicken and fruit.
i do love my food any found it very tough as my partner is a fabulous cook and he does some great meals which i miss, however he has never added salt to any of them before anyway. would appreciate any help guys as i,ve been pretty rough the last couple of weeks and will try anything!!

thank you, :)

Offline potters whirl

• vis unita fortior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 16 2009, 12:30 PM »
hi, i would really like to try this no salt diet properly, but could do with some tips please.
i did try it a month or two ago for a week and felt great but not sure if it was the diet or my demons had just given me a break for a while.
i came off it as i went to a party, had a bit too much to drink and came home and had a kebab!!!!(it was all over after that!! :-[
what i would like to know is what really not to eat as i really cut everything out. i lived on porridge fruit, tinned tomatoes,pasta and chicken and fruit.
i do love my food any found it very tough as my partner is a fabulous cook and he does some great meals which i miss, however he has never added salt to any of them before anyway. would appreciate any help guys as i,ve been pretty rough the last couple of weeks and will try anything!!

thank you, :)

Low salt has really helped me Tracey, hope it helps you.
If your partner is not cooking with any salt and is not using processed food I can't see why you should miss out at all. As long as it is fresh meat, fish and vegetables there is nothing to worry about.  Watch out for things like stock cubes, soy sauce, fish sauce, oyster sauce and a lot of condiments as they can be full of salt. And beware of salted water for boiling veg or cooking rice or pasta. If you are unsure about something specific just ask you will soon get used to it and so will he.
The main things for me are
1) avoid processed foods and food in restaurants as much as is possible unless you are sure they are salt free.
2)carry low salt snacks in my back, unsalted peanuts and raisins, that kind of thing because out and about it can be hard to find snack foods when hunger strikes
3)avoiding ibuprofen or anything else that reduces kidney function (very important as the kidneys will not get rid of the salt as efficiently, it has a tangible effect on me)
4)Exercise or hot bath every day to sweat out salt in my system (of course both can be troublesome if you are feeling very unwell)
5)if I digress and indulge don't completely cave in and give up, just start again and have a hot bath to sweat it out :).

Opinion seems split over on the usefullness of a low salt diet, but there is no doubt that it does help some people. If it didn't help me and give me a feeling of control I wouldn't bother because it can be very hard, especially at first, but what starts as a real effort can eventually become good habits and you get to be in tune with yourself and know when to let yourself live a little.
Hope this helps a bit.
Good Luck.

mostly, you'll find me doing exactly what I shouldn't be

Offline tracey d

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Oct 16 2009, 08:48 PM »
thank you very much for your advice!!! much appreciated, will give it a try!! ;D

NEWOSA65

« Reply #19 on: Oct 17 2009, 11:19 AM »
DO NOT get too carried away with the low salt theory - if you reduce your salt intake too drastically you will have other problems especially if you're taking diuretics as well.  My advice is to never go below 2.5 - 3grams sodium per day.  Over the years i strictly followed a low salt diet and it did NOTHING to reduce the severity or frequency of my attacks - in fact, in my experiences with Menieres, the more you reduce your salt intake and follow other fluid reducing advice like taking medication such as diuretics, then the worse the menieres becomes especially over the long term!  

The body is a creature of habit and making drastic changes can be more harmful than good and i think does have an effect on the inner ear and what it can cope with fluid wise!  My salt intake was about 4-5grams sodium daily before Menieres struck and i was advised by my a useless audiologist (Dr Yeoh!) to cut out all my salt and have a 5mg diuretic tablet... i followed his crap advice and the sudden change made me feel really ill for over 3 months and i lost over 2 stones in bodyweight as a result and continued to feel dreadful for over 12years!  Mind you, what can you expect from a doctor who never even gave me an MRI Scan - he just presumed that i had menieres and prescribed the tablets.  Years and Years later when i demanded to see someone who could offer me more help the ENT whom i saw at St Georges hospital in Tooting London (Thank you Mr Hinton) could not believe that Dr Yeoh had not given me an MRI Scan as apparantly it could have been something more sinister than MD.  I was so angry!  

So to sum up, its best to be as normal as possible and consume an ordinary diet MINUS the use of the salt pot! lol!  Most people on the forum already know my views on diet and doctors tablets for Menieres - simply, they do not work and unless you are one of the lucky few sufferers of Menieres where the problem suddenly disappears for life, then you should NOT be putting up with this dreadful disease especially if you are having to have time off work or are currently in a position where you are having at least one attack per month!  Demand at least a course of Steroid injections in your affected ear, you never know it could put you in remission for years without taking the risks associated with gentamicin injections OR doctors medications!

S

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Oct 17 2009, 06:04 PM »
Just to add that steroid injections usually require repeating as the effects tend to wear off after a while.  Whilst I don't subscribe to dietary changes making much difference to MD either, I think some people feel it does make a difference.  The same applies to the medications available. It is very very difficult to know for sure what does effect the course of Menieres I'm afraid. 

Chris x

Offline tracey d

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Oct 19 2009, 06:13 PM »
its very strange how some people feel much better with different diets and medications. As for the injections, i,m not convinced really, as i,ve been really ill for a year now and had so much time off work that i just want it over with once and for all.  I NEED MY LIFE BACK!!! i haven,t had longer than 4 days without a diizzy attack in the last year and that was after my after my saccus decompression!! i,m back at the hosp on the 4th nov to discuss my next step, and having my hearing aid fitted next mon.
thanks for your advice!!!  ;)

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 20 2009, 09:56 AM »
Hi Simon

I'm not against destructive procedures, I just think everything needs to be researched and balanced, the pros and cons looked at before heading too quickly for the destructive stuff.  It would seem, from others experiences, that the response to current destructive procedures is fairly short-lived too - I'm thinking particularly of gent and steroids here in that they seem to need repeating regularly.  From Barbara's information at latest MD conference it would appear that other destructive procedures are being phased out.

I also think that one does need to watch and wait to see how things develop and I appreciate how frustrating and difficult that is - I've done it myself for many years.  There are other diseases which overlap with MD symptoms.  If I had pushed for the destructive option myself many years ago I think I would be seriously regretting it now, since I was diagnosed with MS a couple of years ago.  So you have to be very sure it is MD before knocking out the balance system. 

Chris x

Offline tracey d

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 20 2009, 10:21 AM »
christina and simon,
thank you so much for your advice it really means alot.

i know the destructive surgery isn,t ideal, but can,t help thinking why have time off with the injections and then spending time recovering and getting back to work etc, with knowing its going to come back again anyway?
does anyone have any idea of the statistics of it working and over how long??

i,m afraid i am impatient and want everything sorted yesterday, but my children are teenagers now and i don,t want to spoil their childhood memories of mom working full time then being in bed by 6 oclock every nite.
 Also i have a great job, lots of perks, lots of friends at work and look forward to going every day, whilst they are all very understanding,( if at times a little too understanding treating me an invalid!! :))

i really don,t want to jepodise this job, its my first full time job since my first child 18 years ago and it would kill me to lose it. (this might seem a tad over the top, but its important to me :-[)

my dizzyness is on average 2-5 attacks a day, but only lasting a very short time, then occasionally bout once or twice a week a big one, where i have to sit down before i fall.
so what do you think guys?? is this bad enough to warrent the major surgery? or should i stop moaning and be grateful its not much worse???
thanks for listening??

barbara

« Reply #24 on: Oct 20 2009, 10:31 AM »
Hi Simon,
I totally agree with Chris. One thing we have to remember is that how much people suffer and for how long varies tremendously. Some people are bad for a couple of years, which should not be understated, but  then have no further attacks for 10-15 years.Should they consider  gent after one year? We have no way of knowing which way the disease will go. All we can do is get as much info as possible, hope that we have found a good surgeon and make considered decisions for ourselves. Neither Gent nor Steroids can promise long term problem free lives. Liz is heading for her 7th gent injection and although she has had some relief and a better quality of life for many months the attacks came back !!

Barbara

barbara

« Reply #25 on: Oct 20 2009, 10:50 AM »
Hi Tracy,
It doesn't sound from your posts that you are getting the rotational vertigo that makes many people have to lie down for hours on end and then have to stagger to get around for the rest of the day. Most surgeons will only consider gent. for rotational vertigo which is not helped by other means. You may never get rotational vertigo but on the other you might. There is nothing hard or fast in the rules of Menieres Disease.

Barbara

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Oct 20 2009, 11:10 AM »
Hi Tracey

I'm not too sure any consultant would want to go down the major surgery route with you just yet I'm afraid to say.  They would probably go for other non-destructive treatments first - maybe even offer you grommets.  For most people major surgery is the very last option after other things have been exhausted and failed.  However, the relatively new gentamicin and steroid injections are less destructive than surgery, and seem to be offered more routinely now.  If it were me I would tend towards those first.  There is a considerable recovery time from surgery - many weeks or months, where you would most likely be unable to work and your balance will always be affected.  You usually have protracted period of rehab following surgery too.  The rotational vertigo stops but you will be left with other balance issues.  If the messages from one side to the brain are completely destroyed, your other side should take over most of the function but without balance from both sides you will always be aware of it and rely more heavily on your eyes to tell your brain where you are in space.

I am sorry there is no quick fix option for MD Tracy, but I've yet to know of any treatment that will completely cure the problem or at least not leave you with some deficit. 

Chris x

Offline tracey d

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Oct 20 2009, 11:39 AM »
thanks very much, barbara and chris, x x

i don,t get the dizziness where i,m bed ridden thankfully anymore, but do some times have attacks where i feel like in i,m in a tumble dryer , spinning and can,t see and for some reason i just burst out cryingand start sweating!! albeit they only last a minuete or two,but thankfully since my last op, those have decreased dramatically.

thank you so much for the advise, it really does help, i suppose i just don,t want to accept that i have an incurable illness really, or that i,ll never be "normal" again, i should really be greatful that i do carry on a relatively normal life and people get on with far worse than i feel, after accidents or diatetes etc...

sorry for being a moaner but all your advice has helped more than you know. :-*x x x x

Offline marie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Oct 20 2009, 12:01 PM »
Hi did anyone hear of the vitamin b 12 being added to diet i read on an Irish hse site with dizziness ringing in ears etc it might help or are we being fobbed off here, i being taken it for nearly a month now i being feeling ok but this is i think me getting a break rather the vitamin working, love to hear input from others on this

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Oct 20 2009, 01:35 PM »
Hi Marie

Well it is possible to have problems with your nervous system if you're deficient in B12, which may cause symptoms with mobility, sensory deficits etc.  I was tested for B12 deficiency when I was being diagnosed with MS but I was fine.  It's also possible to have B12 deficiency anaemia which would probably give you symptoms of dizziness and tinnitus.  Unless you are actually deficient in B12, which can be detected by a blood test, you may not find any great benefit to MD symptoms from adding it.

Chris x

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Oct 20 2009, 05:21 PM »
Hi Simon

I'm really glad that Liz's injections keep things reasonably at bay for her and that she can continue to have her career and keep the roof over her head. It's a shame that gent does need repeating and sufferers have to go back to having attacks again and have another wait for treatment.  I am sure you are not meaning to give out any judgemental overtones that some people might take from your comments Simon.  I am sure you know that MD sufferers have different paths they may need to take in dealing with this horrible illness, all of them equally brave.

Chris x

Lizzie

« Reply #31 on: Oct 20 2009, 06:34 PM »
Hi

In response to Tracey d, I think you need to decide whether or not you can put up with your regular attacks or not.  If you are managing, then maybe now is not the time to consider destructive treatment.  If you feel that you are not coping, suffering from anxiety and worried about work - then maybe you should consider treatment.
This disease is unlikely to just 'go away'.....only in a few cases does it suddenly do that.

I understand why people feel that jumping into destructive treatments is not a good idea - and yes sometimes our symptoms improve over time, but....sometimes they do not and things become a whole lot worse.  The problem with this illness is that nobody knows - all sufferers need to ask themselves 'how long am I prepared to suffer and wait' before I consider treatment?'  It could be over 10 years before any improvement occurs - in that time the illness is reducing the quality of our lives in so many ways.  If I was getting 2-5 attacks a day, I would consider that pretty bad...and would go for treatment (which I have).

In response in Barbara - if we could all glance into the future it would be really great....if I knew my vertigo would disappear next year then of course i would have no further gent. injections.   I don't like the thought of my ear being destroyed and losing balance function. 

I won't accept having to spend hours on the floor spinning, waiting, wondering and hoping.  I can't afford to wait and see which direction the disease is going in..  I am about to have injection number 8 and I'm quite happy to have more if it gives me periods of remission.   I don't mind regular top ups if it means that I can live my life and enjoy a vertigo free existence.  I would happily have 20 gent. injections if necessary.  My balance so far is no worse than it was, I have had no problems with rehabilitation and my hearing has been stable for 2 years.  I have been able to hold down my job and live relatively normally.

This is a difficult topic and everybody has their own opinions.  As I have said previously, the person who is suffering needs to weigh up whether or not they are coping and whether they are prepared to wait indefinitely for improvement to happen on its own.

I don't think Simon was giving out any judgemental overtones - we have both suffered terribly and have 18 years experience of MD between  us.  I suppose we find it difficult to understand why others want to settle for a life of vertigo when there is good treatment out there which has the potential to improve lives (risks involved we know).
Liz

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Oct 20 2009, 06:56 PM »
Lizzie

As Moderator on the forum I do feel it's part of my role to balance information and comments, which is what I strive to do and to ensure that other members feel all views on treatment are acceptable and encouraged. 

Whilst it may seem difficult for you to appreciate why others may not go for gent treatment given how hard vertigo is to live with, I am glad you agree it is completely up to the individual to weigh up what may be best for them.

Chris x

Offline Helen

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Oct 20 2009, 07:42 PM »
can someone tell me if they do allergy tests before giving Gentamicin
Elaine
Just because we look relatively healthy doesn't mean we feel it

Offline potters whirl

• vis unita fortior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Oct 20 2009, 08:17 PM »
Not sure if my menieres is considered SERIOUS but I can be evangelical about lifestyle (salt included) changes in combination with betahistine. Took me from 12- 20 full on vertigo attacks per month with it coming out of both ends more often than not, to a situation of a very good year and no vertigo. The timing is too much to be coincidence. What worked for me will not work for everyone and I do not know how long the relief will last but it is worth trying first if you haven't tried it in my opinion.
Peace and Solidarity :-*
PW

SHARON

« Reply #35 on: Oct 20 2009, 08:34 PM »
Hi
Just to add my twopennorth - Although it's been mentioned, I have not yet been offerred and I've not asked for any of the invasive or destructive treatments...but would be very hesitant to take them in any case.
I think that as menieres affects everyone differently it stands to reason that we will all respond differently to the various treatments or lifestyle changes.
Although I haven't been helped at all by betahistine - many swear by it and the fact that it did nothing in my case might be down to me rather than the drug....just in the same way that certain headache treatments work for some but not others and different things trigger allergies in people etc.
If you find something that helps YOU then brilliant....but I personally think it's up to the individual to find what works best for them without being pressured or coerced into any destructive treatment they are not totally confident in undertaking.
Purdy

Offline Helen

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Oct 20 2009, 09:28 PM »
I have not been offered any of the them either (consultant wont even consider it)
I was just asking about the allergy tests as I would not even consider
Gentamicin without having any tests first
as I do suffer from allergies
I am even allergic to the hearing aid they gave me
I had a really sore ear from it and I have to make an appointment to get
another one
they said that all hearing aids are made with hypo allergenic materials
and that I must be super sensitive to it
but I agree that everyone must do what is right for them
I also admire anyone who can keep working through this illness
but there are some of us who just cant do the same job we used to do
Elaine

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Oct 20 2009, 09:44 PM »
Hi Helen

I think you would be wise to ask about allergy testing for gent, particularly as you are sensitive to things.  It could be potentially quite serious for you to have it if you are allergic.  Gentamicin was originally given as an antibiotic for quite serious infections and one of the side effects was dizziness and vertigo, so they realised it was actually toxic to the inner ear and damaged balance.  They then realised that it could be used as a treatment for balance problems, destroying the balance function and therefore diminishing vertigo attacks.  Antibiotics are notorious for causing sensitivities in people and your question is a very good one.  I don't think  they routinely test for allergy, so definitely ask about it.

Chris xxx

Offline Helen

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Oct 20 2009, 09:52 PM »
Thanks Chris  :)
I feel that some of us just go along with what the consultants say
without questioning them
but I suffer enough I dont want to add to it
Elaine

Lizzie

« Reply #39 on: Oct 21 2009, 12:31 PM »
Hi Christina

I completely understand your role as Moderator and I think you do a great job.  I am fully aware that all readers of this forum deserve to read balanced arguments etc..and that is what makes this forum so informative and a lifeline for a lot of people.  I wouldn't want to change that or for people to think that I was forcing my views.  However, I feel that a large number of posts on here don't favour 'surgical procedures' and I think some comments may deter sufferers from going ahead when they are suffering badly.   Some surgical procedures can be extremely beneficial when all else fails and such procedures are worth equal discussion and consideration.  Everybody who has MD needs to choose the right treatment for themselves at a time that suits them...and this is what is really important...........and support of course  :).

Anyway, take care.
Liz   

Offline potters whirl

• vis unita fortior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Oct 21 2009, 01:06 PM »
Hi
Just to add my twopennorth - Although it's been mentioned, I have not yet been offerred and I've not asked for any of the invasive or destructive treatments...but would be very hesitant to take them in any case.
I think that as menieres affects everyone differently it stands to reason that we will all respond differently to the various treatments or lifestyle changes.
Although I haven't been helped at all by betahistine - many swear by it and the fact that it did nothing in my case might be down to me rather than the drug....just in the same way that certain headache treatments work for some but not others and different things trigger allergies in people etc.
If you find something that helps YOU then brilliant....but I personally think it's up to the individual to find what works best for them without being pressured or coerced into any destructive treatment they are not totally confident in undertaking.
Purdy

Exactly. This thread was about salt and diet and for me it is worth defending the usefullness of this in some cases or at some stages.
Meniere's Disease is obviously quite a few different illnesses under one diagnosis. Different illnesses with  different causes and different remedies. Until we are able to classify these different illnesses individually it would seem reckless not to ascend the 'remedy ladder' one rung at a time, starting with lifestyle changes and of course getting to the more destructive courses of action. The speed of this ascent and where to stop is down to the individual and I can imagine that it takes some courage as you near the top.
Vive la Information!
PW

SHARON

« Reply #41 on: Oct 21 2009, 01:35 PM »
I totally agree PW.
I'm so glad that you have found something to help you with your menieres.
For me, I've found that overdoing things, tiredness and getting stressed are the main triggers....which in some ways is great because it gives me the perfect excuse for being lazy.....only joking!!!!
Seriously......all I wanted to get across is that we are all different ......and as there is no actual cure for our condition...we must all just do what suits us best and not make assumptions or judge others just because they hold different views.
I can get off my soapbox now and do some work - just not too much!!!!

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Oct 21 2009, 03:17 PM »
Sorry to those who've noticed this thread has been rather hijacked by those of us discussing other treatments.   It happens I'm afraid.

Chris x

desperatehousewife

« Reply #43 on: Oct 21 2009, 05:51 PM »
Hi all,
I love that members are so passionate about treatments & tips, and I'll apologise in advance for not following the true thread of 'salt stuff', but I can hardly resist the temptation to tell you about my MD category list:-
serious menieres
not so serious menieres
quite serious if you're a bit of a wimp menieres
quite serious even if you're not a wimp menieres
quite serious but I can manage though it hurts menieres
not so serious but I can't manage menieres
hardly worth mentioning menieres
hardly worth mentioning, but I will because it makes me feel better menieres
Don't think I'm minimising MD, and don't think I'm having a pop at you Simon because I admire your directness, what you see is what you get, it was just a passing titter for me personally to share, and say to all, do whatever works for you, we're all brave coping with this lot!
Take care Kath x

SHARON

« Reply #44 on: Oct 21 2009, 06:02 PM »
Which one are you Kath??
I'm probably "It hurts and I want me mum Menieres!"

desperatehousewife

« Reply #45 on: Oct 21 2009, 06:09 PM »
Wot Purdy? Bit corned beef y'know.......

desperatehousewife

« Reply #46 on: Oct 21 2009, 06:14 PM »
sorry, I was posting while you were, big hugs & lots of empathy Purdy. Take care x

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Oct 21 2009, 06:15 PM »
I like those categories - I think I might be 'not sure if I've actually got it Meniere's, but if I haven't I'm making a good impersonation of someone with it'  lol x

Chris x

Offline potters whirl

• vis unita fortior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Oct 21 2009, 06:32 PM »
well done kath  :D, it can get a bit emotive all this
I'm still a bit angry so i think i could have 'you cannot be serious meniere's'.
calmness not claminess
PW

edit. angry with life for having it in the first place, not with any incidental triflings on this thread I wish to clarify

Offline tracey d

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Oct 22 2009, 08:42 AM »
that kath was fab, really made me laugh out loud at work and made everyone turn and look at me!!!

think i might be "are you sure its not just in your mind menieres!", ( thats what some idiot asked me at work this morn!!) ;D