meniere

Author Topic: BPPV Warning  (Read 2851 times)

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
BPPV Warning
« on: Jul 02 2007, 06:52 PM »
hi everyone ,
Following my recent experiences ,I decided to post this warning to anyone in this group who might be considering treatment for BPPV .
The common treatment for it is the Eply manoeuvre which involves moving the head from side to side followed by exercises  .Unbeknown to me before I let them do it on me this treatment should not be attempted on anyone who has neck problems .If this treatment is suggested to you make sure they know you have problems first .I wasn't asked until after they'd done it and I've just spent a week in pain and 2 hours in A&E today as it's rejuvenated old whiplash damage in my neck .
Elaine xx

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Re: BPPV Warning
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02 2007, 09:52 PM »
Hi Elaine

I agree with your warning - as someone who has neck problems from time to time, I find all the vestibular rehab exercises just makes my problems worse.  I've had the Epley done but afterwards I suffered for several days with a stiff neck and pain. 

Sorry to hear you had to go to A&E - it must have been bad.

Best wishes
Chris
not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ...

Offline jan

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 02 2007, 10:04 PM »
hi elaine,sorry that the epley has stirred up your neck problems.i have had lots of epleys,but have never had any neck problems,before or since.i was asked by the physio if i had any neck problems before she did the first one.
           take care and i hope you start feeling better soon.
        jan
keep smiling!!

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 02 2007, 10:40 PM »
Hi Chris,
Yes it has been bad .I couldn't put the dishes away after the dishwasher had finished and it took me 1.5 hours to fall asleep last night even with painkillers so I decided enough was enough in case I'd trapped something .I didn't think the Eply itself was too bad and from what I read I've been sort of doing one myself in bed from time to time anyway but the other exercises weren't shown to me and it was probably one thing too much doing them  :'(
Sat on the sofa watching a film this afternoon propped up on cushions with my wheatbag on my neck and it really helped  :)
Elaine xx