meniere

Author Topic: SHOPPING  (Read 6842 times)

Offline CAROL ANNE

• View Profile
SHOPPING
« on: May 06 2005, 02:14 PM »
Hi everybody,
                      I wondered if anyone had any tips for when they go food shopping mostly, or anything shopping, I always push the trolley as it gives a bit of support, but I  start off not too bad but by the time I 'm halfway round the super market, I'm a wreck, daring not to move my head too much, in case I have a wobbly, and then queuing at the check out, Oh how I hate shopping, just the thought of going sets me off.

Offline jan

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
SHOPPING
« Reply #1 on: May 06 2005, 02:52 PM »
hi carol anne,i do nearly all  my food shopping on the internet.i also do a lot of clothes/present shopping  online as well.
             if  we do go to a supermarket.i tend to only do the outside aisles.when it comes to paying,i sit or go outside while my husband queues to pay.
                  jan
keep smiling!!

Offline chrissie

• View Profile
shopping
« Reply #2 on: May 06 2005, 03:28 PM »
Hi I know what you mean, I hate shopping too, sends me into a panic thinking about it. I also do most of my food shopping on line after diastrous tries myself, hubby usually does the rest on his own, bless him. . If I do have to go I also hang on to the trolley, try not to look around too much and if you can pick the quietest time you can find to do it,  that might help.  I have terrible trouble queueing so I too usually sit this out or disappear back to the car, easier that way, but if you can't go with someone else I would suggest trying the internet for a while and see how you get on. If you can go with someone, get them to  pick the things off the shelves for you and you just hang on to the trolley, you won't have to move your head and eyes around so much.
Good luck.
Chrissie

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
SHOPPING
« Reply #3 on: May 06 2005, 06:10 PM »
I rarely go to the supermarket these days - like the others I do my grocery shopping online.  I ventured to Tesco last night with my daughter.  It was manic - I'd forgotten how busy it all is and this was 7.30pm.  I really struggled round - I only wanted 3 things but I was so busy concentrating on staying upright that I couldn't find anything!  Sometimes I can manage OK but after having a vertigo attack in Tesco and having to ring my husband to come & get me, I feel quite panicked about being there.  Anyway, I've learned my lesson from last night's experience and will continue to get my groceries online.  
Chris
not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ...

Offline Loopylou

• View Profile
SHOPPING
« Reply #4 on: May 07 2005, 10:02 AM »
I can manage tescos some days..icelands a BIG no no for me, the lights, the light reflecting off freezer lids... oh it makes me feel sooooooooo poorly!.
We have a small tescos where i live thankfully, im not too bad going round most days but standing in a queue almost kills me..thankfully my partners always with me and i can go to the car and he will pay!

Louise

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
SHOPPING
« Reply #5 on: May 07 2005, 08:23 PM »
Hi All ,
I used to love shopping but now I drop before I've shopped and not the other way round  :cry:
I find Tescos really hard and tend to send hubby in there more often than not but I can cope with Iceland as it's smaller and quieter. I hate the telly display in Tescos - all those rolling eyes  :shock:
I do my big shop on the net .
Elaine xx

NEWOSA65

Re: SHOPPING
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30 2007, 06:20 PM »
Know what you mean about shopping Chris!!  I too once had a vertigo attack whilst in Tesco's (.. can't think why things always happen in Tesco's!) and literally couldn't move - was hanging on to one of the shelves down the cat food section at the time - luckily though, had my other half with me so she went off to get a supermarket trolley for me to lean on and get out of the store!  Its so frightening and embarassing though to be in that position - know wonder I now suffer with anxiety... its the fear of not knowing when the next attack is going to strike :( 

Simon

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30 2007, 07:07 PM »
I avoid big supermarkets these days.  I tend to go to smaller shops & there's a small Co-op not far.  Things don't get any easier for me with shopping.

Chris

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30 2007, 07:31 PM »
Wow ! I last posted on this thread 2 years ago  :o
I've worked hard at my anxiety levels and also at getting the MD under control (with the help of steroids ) and can do the big shop in Tescos though it is hard going on some days .Having said that ,I had a "near miss " by the time I reached the checkouts last week and how I got round Iceland afterwards and then got home I will never know - but it can be done  ;D
Elaine xx

Offline Janet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06 2008, 12:06 AM »
Hi All
when i had my first vertigo attack i was at home the second one was at tescos 6am in the morrning at work yes i worked for them its enough to make anybody spinn let alone go shopping there  :D made my day when i threw up on the manager while they were trying to get me out of the canteen to take me home[ i told them Dont move me ] ;D now i dont work there but if i shop the staff look after me if im on my own my old mate tim is always happy to do my shopping with me gets him out of working  :o
Janet

Offline nickiking

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07 2008, 11:11 AM »
i hate grocery shopping and avoid at all costs. i do however still love to go shopping. i never go alone and always go when i'm having a good day. i avoid lifts and escalators as these make me unbalanced. i can recommend primark as a good place to collapse, the staff were very friendly and helpful when i did in november. other shoppers do have a habit of stareing however giving them a wave and saying hello means they gave me a wide berth. i refuse to give up everything i enjoy, it feels like it would be giving in xnickix
Nicki

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07 2008, 02:50 PM »
I love to shop too Nicki but always go with someone these days,  usually my daughters.  They know what to expect and how to manage mum!

Chris

constanlydizzy

« Reply #12 on: Jan 09 2008, 09:41 AM »
Hi all
I always think that I must look very suspicious when I'm out shopping because of the way I move slowly around and stand staring at things whilst I'm trying to maintain my balance. I also tend to look at things without moving my head whenever possible which must look very strange. I'm convinced that I must look as if I'm a shoplifter and have noticed staff watching me on several occasions. But what the heck, I still like to go shopping whenever possible.

Julie

barbara

« Reply #13 on: Jan 09 2008, 09:47 AM »
Hi Julie,
As you say 'what the heck'. They would have red faces if they ever challenged you.
Barbara

Offline pookylou

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02 2009, 05:51 PM »
Hello!

I hate the shopping stuff too! I do my food shopping online as I really hate going to the big supermarket. I come out of the supermarket and i'm white as a sheet and wobbling all over the place. I can mange the little co-op and tesco on a good day.

Clothes shopping, i'm ok for about 5 mins in a shop and then i need out so online is best for me. I also have to go shopping in town rather than our big shopping centre which is a pain as town has nothing there!

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03 2009, 12:25 PM »
Sounds all too familiar - thanks goodness for the internet though, or where would we be.  Town centre shopping seems to be dying in a lot of towns these days - it's a great pity.  In Gloucester there are loads of shops closed down and boarded up.  Makes for a depressing city centre.  I guess more and more people are doing their shopping online and out of town. 

Chris x

ManiloonySally

« Reply #16 on: Mar 03 2009, 02:22 PM »
Totally agree, i gave up the supermarket a few years ago unless its a little tesco express, i use tesco online, and i buy all my clothes online too, to be fair, i am not a shopping fan anyway, but i struggle too much now and hate being stuck in a big department store, so just don't do it anymore :(   I do still go to the hairdressers, but i know them so well and they all know my condition, but i never have it dried, i come home and do it myself ;)

Sally

Offline Lambo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 03 2009, 04:23 PM »
I find some supermarkets better than others and as has been said on here, as long as I am pushing the trolley I am more able to cope, the one place I try and avoid is the large shopping centres, I live near Lakeside and that place sets my balance off as soon as I step in there, went to Ikea with the wife the other day and had to make a bolt for the exit as it was so bad.

Offline puggster

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09 2009, 03:45 PM »
i can compleatly relate to that

i also hate shopping trips
as the missus likes dashing around and i often get stranded with the trolly as i cant keep up

but at the best of it my knees hurt like hell after just 10 - 15 minutes of walking so i tend to try and avoid going so the missus normaly takes someone else in whilst i sit in the car

its also very tireing going out
so i more than likely end up as mr grumpy and get on everyones nerves lol

as far as i know there aint many tips or tricks, the only thing i can suggest is take it easy and try not to stress whilst out and about as having a attack whilst out would be the worst thing

or you could try internet shopping :) my freind does it and it helps alot for some people i supose
just tring to find the stuff you need is a pain on them websites but if it saves a trip to the shops then i supose its worth a shot :)

pugz

Offline Beckybec

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 30 2009, 09:28 PM »
I think the people in my local Co Op suspect I am a drunk!

I walk the son to school up the hill (6 mins on a good day, up to 20 when I hold the walls!) On the way back down I always struggle to walk in a straight line, but I still have to get milk etc from the local CO Op, usually burping, and walking into things and really concentrating on looking staight ahead!
Good job I dont have to drive to get the boy to school, tho he was mortified when I started to hold on to him to cross roads, for my safety not his!

The lollipop lady has had an explanation, so she does't think I'm mad.

I seem to go out of focus when looking at things on purpose so they dont move, but I must look well weird.